Each year, the Shire of Harvey’s Community Sail Training Trust Committee invite applications from local youth 15 – 25 to apply for a scholarship to sail on a Leeuwin Adventure Voyage. The scholarships are funded through a number of local Harvey organisations, including the Lions Clubs of Harvey, Brunswick and Australind and the Harvey Rotary Club, and offer each recipient a full 7-day youth development voyage on board the STS Leeuwin II.
Applications are now open for the 2018 Leeuwin voyages.
How do I apply for a subsidised Leeuwin voyage through the Shire of Harvey?
You need to complete both the Shire of Harvey Leeuwin Sail Training Subsidy Application Pack, as well as the Voyage Application Form Leeuwin, and submit both completed applications to the Shire of Harvey. Your Leeuwin Voyage Application and Contract Application Form will be forwarded to the Leeuwin Foundation should you be successful in gaining a scholarship and is assessed by the Leeuwin Foundation for your medical and physical fitness.
Application forms may be obtained:
- Online (see Application Pack Below)
- From your local Shire of Harvey Office on Uduc Road in Harvey or Mulgara Street in Australind
- Or by email or post by calling Stella Johnson, Community Officer on 9729 0308 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send BOTH forms to the Shire of Harvey
Please note, booking confirmation is conditional on an interview with sponsoring service clubs and the Leeuwin Foundation’s approval that the applicant is medically and physically fit to undertake the voyage.
For further information, please contact Stella Johnson– Community Development Officer on (08) 9729 0308or email: email@example.com or alternatively you can contact the Leeuwin team on (08) 9430 4105 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Leeuwin 2017 Scholarship participants
The mission of the Leeuwin Ocean Adventure Foundation is to challenge and inspire young people to realise their personal potential and make a positive contribution to the wider community, through the unique medium of a tall sailing ship.
Which voyage should I apply for?
The Youth Explorer Voyages are designed for young people aged 15 – 25. A Youth Explorer Voyage takes you onto the Indian Ocean for 6 nights and 7 days, together with up to 40 trainees and 15 crew. You will be involved in all ship operations from steering the ship, setting and furling the sails, climbing the mast, cleaning the ship and standing watch through the night. More information about the Youth Explorer Voyages is available on the Leeuwin website at sailleeuwin.com/voyages/youth-explorer
The Ultimate Challenge Voyage takes up to 24 young people with physical, intellectual and sensory limitations and 16 (18+ years) to sail equally as support participants, also providing support and assistance when required. Preference is given to those in the 14-25 age group; however older applicants are still encouraged to apply.
BENEFITS OF THE LEEUWIN YOUTH EXPLORER VOYAGE INCLUDE:
- The ability to build their work-ready skills and add to their resume. Communication, leadership, teamwork and collaboration are just a few of the skills employers are looking for.
- A safe and trusted program which has run for over 30 years.
- Voyage participants are able to learn things they wouldn’t normally in the classroom or workplace through experiential learning.
- The opportunity to earn WACE POINTS (see back page).
- Ability to complete the Adventurous or Residential Journey component of the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award.
- The opportunity to earn the Outdoor Adventurous Activity or Pursuit for Venturer Scouts doing the Queen’s Scout Award.
- An invitation to return as a Leeuwin volunteer.
- The chance to explore an interest in a Maritime or Marine Career.
- The ability to make friends outside regular school, university, workplace or sporting groups.
- Proven to improve social confidence for their future