Dog Registration


Amendment to the Dog Act 1976

Restricted Dog Breeds

What is a restricted breed?

What do I do if I own a “restricted breed”?

Is your dog microchipped

Animal Control

Common Complaints

–       Dog Attacks
–       Barking
–       Dog Excreta
–       Stray Dogs
–       Dog Exercise Areas

Related Links

Dog Registration

Why do I need to register my dog?

Not only is it law under the Dog Act 1976 for all dogs over three months to be registered, it is also important for both the general community and their dogs that Council has a record of dogs and their owners.

Registration allows Council to provide for better facilities and conditions for responsible dog owners.

The benefits of registration are:

  • Positive identification of your dog
  • Reuniting lost or injured dogs with their owners
  • Investigation and resolution of dog problems
  • Encouraging desexing of dogs through discounted registration fees

The period of registration (or dog year) runs from 1st November to 31st October, regardless of when the dog is actually registered. Current registrations can be transferred between most local councils within Western Australia.

Only two dogs are permitted to be kept at any one residence. You may keep puppies until they reach the age of three months. Should you wish to keep more than two dogs then you must make an application to Shire of Harvey.

To view the application to transfer or update the address of a dog registration click the below links.

Dog Registration Form

Update of Animal Details Form


Registration can be completed at the following locations:

Harvey Administration Office 102 Uduc Road, Harvey

Australind Sub Office 7 Mulgara Street, Australind

Amendment to the Dog Act 1976

  • Improve community safety, through increased controls over dangerous dogs and higher penalties to encourage more responsible dog ownership
  • Enable nuisance behaviour, including barking, to be more effectively dealt with
  • Recognise assistance dogs as an extension of the guide dog provisions
  • Require mandatory microchipping, lifetime dog registrations and impounding provisions.

These changes became law on 1st November 2013.

Restricted Dog Breeds

What is a restricted breed?

A restricted breed is a dog that is prohibited under the Dog (Restricted Breed) Regulation 2006 which includes Pit Bull Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, Dogo Argentio, Fila Brasileiro, Japanese Tosa and Presa Canario. They may also be either mixed breed that visibly contains any of the above-prohibited breeds.

What do I do if I own a “restricted breed”?

There are a considerable number of restrictions that must be strictly adhered to, for example:

  • A “dangerous dog” warning sign must be on each entrance to your property
  • A dog must be muzzled and on a leash in public

Is your dog microchipped?

The State Government has introduced changes to the Dog Act 1976 that comes into effect from the 1st November 2015. The new legislation requires that all dogs as of the 1st November 2015, must be micro-chipped. These changes will be reflected on dog registration renewals that will be sent to all dog owners who currently have their dogs registered with the Shire of Harvey.

Micro-chipping of your dog can be implemented by a veterinarian or a person holding the prescribed qualifications for a micro-chip implanter.

Dogs are only exempt from micro-chipping if a certificate is issued by a veterinarian stating that the animal’s health may adversely be affected by implementation of same. All dogs must be registered and micro-chipped by the age of three months.

If your dog is not microchipped, avoid the rush leading up to the 1st November deadline. More information is available by contacting our Law and Safety Services Department, Tony Francis on (08) 9729 0350.

Attachments (click link below to download)

Animal Control

Register Your Dog

Dog owners are responsible for ensuring their dog is registered and is not allowed to wander at large in public places. Rangers can seize dogs or issue infringements for those dogs found in public places and not under effective control. The dog may be placed in the Shire Pound and the owner would then have to pay poundage charges to have the dog released.

Rangers patrol beaches, towns, reserves and foreshores to encourage a safe environment for the community and its animals. Rangers are authorised to investigate and enforce breaches of the Dog Act 1976.

Useful information for dog owners to consider:

  • Your dog is required to be registered with the Local Council.
  • The dog must wear a collar with the owner’s name and address on it, as well as the registration tag.
  • If a previous owner does not advise of a change of ownership, he/she continues to be responsible for any offence.
  • No more than two (2) dogs over the age of three months and the young of those dogs under that age are permitted to be kept on any premises.
  • A brochure entitled    Cats & Dogs in the Community for dog, cat owners and interested people.
  • Dog licences are renewable on 1st of November each year and may be renewed for either 1 year or 3 year periods.

Common Complaints


A dog attack can take many forms, from a person or animal being chased and growled at, to a physical contact resulting in the death of an animal or serious injury to a person. All attacks should be reported to Ranger Services, regardless of the severity of the attack. All complaints are confidential. A dog that has shown the propensity to attack may be declared as a Dangerous Dog and be subject to additional control requirements e.g. muzzled in public.


Neighbours are encouraged to speak to dog owners if they are concerned about excessive barking. If the barking continues to be unreasonable after speaking to the owners, residents are encouraged to contact ranger services. A ranger will then liaise with the dog owner and provide suggestions on how the barking may be reduced. Rangers are currently limited in their powers in relation to the dog barking and do not have the authority to remove a dog from its residence.

Dog Excreta

Dog owners are responsible for picking up after their dogs, they are encouraged to provide their own poo bags and not be reliant on those in parks, as they are often stolen/misused. Failure to pick up after your dog in public may result in a $100 fine.

Dog Stray

Rangers receive thousands of calls about stray dogs each year, resulting in a number of impoundments a year. This could easily be avoided if all fences and gates were secure, and all dogs wearing ID.

Dog Exercise Areas

Dogs must be held by a leash in all public places, unless in an approved Dog Exercise Area as listed below.




Yarloop: Lot 412 Teasdale Street, Yarloop – “Yarloop Recreation Ground”. Click here for map
Harvey: Lot 36 Hinge Road, Harvey – Meriden Park and the Reserve Area south, excluding times when organised sports are being undertaken; the area not including Dr. Peter Topham Memorial Swimming Pool. Click here for map
Brunswick: Pt. Lots. 7 and 100 Clifton Road, Brunswick – “Brunswick Recreation Ground”; does not include the main Football Arena.  Click here for map
Myalup: Lot 100 Reading Road, Myalup. Click here for map
Binningup: Reserve 39587 Binningup Road, Binningup – “Binningup Oval”. Click here for map
Roelands: That portion of Railway Reserve adjacent to Government Road, north from Colton Road to Waterloo Road. Click here for map
  • Reserve 43714 and 31576 known as – Lot 131 Lucy Victoria Avenue; Australind being a dog exercise area with the area at the northern section of the Reserve adjacent to Lowe Court being a “Dog on Leash” area.
  • Lot 42 Leisure Drive, Australind – Leschenault Recreation Park – “Sports Field 3 only”.
  • Part of Reserve 39950, Lot 5648 Cathedral Avenue – eastern portion of Fees Field.
Click here for map


Click here for map

Click here for map

Cookernup: Recreation Reserve 17728 located on the corner of Riverdale and Marston Roads, Cookernup.  The fenced off area in the south east corner of this Reserve incorporating the Cookernup Community Hall and Bush Fire Brigade is excised from the exercise area. Click here for map


  1. Any public reserve indicated by a sign of public building;
  2. All premises or vehicles classified as food premises or food vehicles under the Food Act 2008;
  3. Any public swimming pool.
Contact Person: Administrator Law & Safety Services
Contact Phone: (08) 9729 0350
Contact Email:

Fire Control

Litter Control

Vehicle Control





Lost your Cat or Dog