Economic Development Officer
We are creating an inspired economic development business unit to establish the Shire of Harvey as a leading place to live, invest, work and visit.
If you are an economic development professional with a passion for innovative, results-driven, sustainable development and business growth that aligns with our brand - we want to hear from you!
One of WA’s fastest growing local government areas, the Shire of Harvey is undergoing a resurgence with numerous significant land and infrastructure developments in the planning stage.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced persons to fill the position of Economic Development Officer to actively support and work with the Manager Economic Development, the Director Sustainable Development and the Destination Harvey Region (tourism) business unit.
The role will drive the delivery of the Shire’s Economic Development Strategy and a diverse range of projects including infrastructure development, investment attraction, industry engagement, friendship city relations, funding attraction, and capability building.
The Shire of Harvey is committed to being an accessible and inclusive employer of choice, and attracting and retaining exceptional and innovative staff to ensure a high level of service delivery. Our offices are based in Harvey and Australind, with flexible working options available.
Our ideal candidate is a strategic thinker with the energy and tenacity to tackle big issues and a collaborative and proactive mentality. While Local Government experience is highly regarded, we value ideas and experience from other sectors.
To be considered for this role you will need:
- Tertiary qualifications in economics, business or a related field.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in a similar position.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Coordination and facilitation skills including project and/or event management skills.
- Sound knowledge of small business and commercial principles and experience in the development and expansion of business opportunities.
- Strong research and analytical skills with ability to monitor and critically reflect on outcomes and report on these in an economic development context.
- Demonstrated high standard of integrity, probity and discretion.
- Proven experience in developing and maintaining effective working relationships with stakeholders, agencies, businesses, groups, investors, and partnership bodies.
- Highly developed public relations skills and commitment to customer satisfaction.
- Demonstrated experience in the preparation of grant applications and acquittals and tender preparation.
View Position Description
Benefits and Conditions
Conditions of employment are in accordance with the Local Government Officers’ (WA) Award 2021 with a salary range of Level 7 ($80,977 to $85,133) per annum, depending on qualifications and experience and benefits such as:
- Superannuation of 10.5 per cent occupational superannuation from date of commencement, with an opportunity that the Shire will match an employee’s voluntary contribution to their nominated plan provided that employee contributes an amount of at least 5 per cent or 6 per cent of their own salary.
- Full-time position, one day off is available after every 19 working days, rostered days off cannot be accumulated with the opportunity for flexible working hours and arrangements.
- Four weeks paid annual leave, including a 17.5 per cent leave loading.
- A probationary period of three months is applicable to this position.
- Free membership to the Leschenault Leisure Centre, the Harvey Recreation and Cultural Centre and the Dr Peter Topham Memorial Swimming Pool.
- Prior to appointment, the Officer will be required to undertake a medical examination with a Doctor of choice at Shire’s cost. The appointment to the position is not confirmed until a medical is completed including Shire’s standard questionnaire and accepted in accordance with Shire Policy.
- A Police Clearance will be required to be provided to the Shire prior to confirmation of appointment not more than three months old, at the Shire’s cost.
How to Apply
Applicants are requested to apply online.
Please submit an online application using the Apply Now link below. As part of your online application form you will be prompted to complete relevant personal information and respond to application questions.
Applicants should address the Selection Criteria contained in the Position Description. These criteria are used to determine which applicant is best able to perform the duties of the position.
Supporting documents should be saved in PDF or Word (.doc) format (applications in other formats that cannot be opened will not be assessed)
Specific queries related to the position should be referred to the Manager Economic Development, Anissa Williams on (08) 9729 0367.
Applications will remain open until the position has been filled. Please apply as soon as possible as the vacancy may close without notice.
The Shire of Harvey has an ongoing aspiration to become the most accessible and inclusive local government in regional WA.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Shire encourages people of all ages, people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people of all sexual orientations and gender identity, and people from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.