Almost finished with high school?
Kick off your career development by joining the Shire of Harvey’s award-winning Community Development team under a full-time, one-year contract.
As Youth Trainee, you’ll work with the Shire’s Youth Collective on projects, programs and events for young people across the Shire.
The position will help you develop your leadership and event planning skills, nurture your ability to work in a team, and will be an excellent addition to your CV.
You will be part of a high energy and creative team and gain experience in local government that will set up your career for a range of possibilities.
To be considered for this role you will need the following:
- Progression towards successful completion of Year 12 at a high school located within the Shire of Harvey, and intent to enter tertiary/TAFE studies after completion of traineeship.
- Demonstrated interest in community development and social issues with particular reference to youth.
- General knowledge of local places and issues within the Shire of Harvey.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.
- Availability to work flexible hours, including weekends.
- Reside within the Shire of Harvey.
View Position Description.
Conditions of employment prescribed by the Local Government Officers’ (WA) Award 2021 with a salary payable of Level 1 ($36,678 to $51,519) per annum, depending on qualifications and experience and benefits such as:
- Superannuation of 10.5 per cent occupational superannuation from date of commencement, with an opportunity that the Shire will match an employee’s voluntary contribution to their nominated plan provided that employee contributes an amount of at least 5 per cent or 6 per cent of their own salary.
- Full-time position, average hours of work will not exceed 38 hours per week on the following basis of 152 hours over 28 consecutive days. Span of ordinary hours of work for this position are Monday to Sunday within a spread of ten hours.
- Four weeks paid annual leave, including a 17.5 per cent leave loading.
- One rostered day off is available after every nineteen working days. Rostered days off cannot be accumulated.
- A probationary period of three months is applicable to this position.
- Free membership to the Leschenault Leisure Centre, the Harvey Recreation and Cultural Centre and the Dr Peter Topham Memorial Swimming Pool.
- Prior to appointment, the Officer will be required to undertake a medical examination with a Doctor of choice at Shire’s cost. The appointment to the position is not confirmed until a medical is completed including Shire’s standard questionnaire and accepted in accordance with Shire Policy.
- A Police Clearance will be required to be provided to the Shire prior to confirmation of appointment not more than three months old, at the Shire’s cost.
How to Apply
Applicants are requested to apply online.
Please submit an on-line application using the Apply Now link below. As part of your online application form you will be prompted to complete relevant personal information and respond to application questions.
Applicants should address the Selection Criteria contained in the Position Description. These criteria are used to determine which applicant is best able to perform the duties of the position.
Supporting documents should be saved in PDF or Word (.doc) format (applications in other formats that cannot be opened will not be assessed).
Specific queries related to the position should be referred to the Acting Manager Place, Cassie Curulli on (08) 9729 0326.
Applications close at 4pm on Monday, 12 December 2022.
The Shire of Harvey has an ongoing aspiration to become the most accessible and inclusive local government in regional WA.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Shire encourages people of all ages, people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people of all sexual orientations and gender identity, and people from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.