Delivery of Your (FOGO) Bin
All households with an existing waste service can expect delivery of their new FOGO bin from the week starting 15 July 2019.
The weekly organics (FOGO) bin service will start in the week beginning 12 August 2019. Please note there is no change to your waste collection day.
After this date, your general waste bin will be collected fortnightly instead of weekly, on your normal collection day. Your recycling bin will continue to be collected fortnightly, on the alternate week to your general waste bin.
This means that there will only be two bins put out for collection each week. The collection schedule is as follows:
- Week beginning 5 August 2019: General Waste and Recycling Bin
- Week beginning 12 August 2019: Organics (FOGO) Bin and General Waste Bin
- Week beginning 19 August 2019: Organics (FOGO) Bin and Recycling Bin
- Week beginning 26 August 2019: Organics Bin (FOGO) and General Waste Bin
Each household will receive:
- 240-litre lime green coloured bin (FOGO);
- A hard plastic 7-litre kitchen caddy with lid, to assist with collecting organics waste;
- Several rolls of compostable bags as disposable liners for kitchen caddies; and
- An information booklet on how to use the organics (FOGO) bin and a waste collection calendar.
Council considered multiple issues and opportunities in making the decision to introduce a FOGO bin, these included:
- The growing population of our community and the amount of waste generated;
- The capacity of existing landfill sites, the increasing costs of landfill and the implications of developing new sites;
- State Waste Authority major regional area targets of 50 per cent diversion of waste from landfill by 2020, and 60 per cent by 2030;
- Availability of present grant funding to assist with the introduction of an organics bin service;
- Environmental responsibilities to reduce the impact of organic waste in landfill on the natural environment and benefit long term public health outcomes;
- Growing community expectations to move towards more sustainable waste management methods;
- The success of the 3-Bin service in nearby local government areas.
To find out more head to the Shire’s website or call 9729 0300
To find out more about what will happen to the contents of your FOGO bin you can watch a short video at https://youreveryday.com.au/articles/so-what-is-fogo-764e86d1