About the scholarship
Every year several scholarships are offered to residents aged 15 to 25 years, to participate in a Youth Explorer Voyage onboard the sailing ship STS Leeuwin II.
The Leeuwin Sail Training Program began in 1989 and is managed by the Shire of Harvey, with the valuable support of the Rotary Club of Harvey and the Lions Clubs of Harvey, Brunswick and Australind.About the voyages
The Youth Explorer Voyage, aimed at young people aged 15 to 25 years, takes you onto the Indian Ocean for six nights and seven days.
The Ultimate Challenge Voyage, aimed at young people with a disability aged 15 to 25 years, is for four nights and five days.
This year scholarships are offered for the following voyages:
- 16 December to 22 December 2021, departing Fremantle, arriving Fremantle.
- 21 January to 27 January 2021, departing Bunbury, arriving Fremantle.
Find out more about the voyages on the Leeuwin Ocean Adventure Foundation website.Eligibility criteria
- Be aged between 15 to 25 years.
- Be a resident in the Shire of Harvey.
The Shire of Harvey makes an annual contribution to the program with additional funds provided through the generous donations of local service clubs.
Applicants are asked to contribute minimum of $400 towards their voyage.How are applications assessed?
Each scholarship application is assessed by the Community Sail Training Trust Advisory Group. This group is made up of Shire of Harvey Councillors and staff, and representatives from local service clubs. If your application is supported by the Advisory Group, a service club representative will arrange an interview with you. The Advisory Group will make the final decision on funding your scholarship for the voyage.Application timeline
How do I apply?
- Applications close Friday, 20 August 2021.
- Interviews conducted by local service clubs early September 2021.
- Interviews assessed and scholarships allocated early September 2021.
- Confirmation of successful and unsuccessful scholarship applications Friday, 17 September 2021.
- Applicants contributions due Wednesday, 1 October 2021.
- Successful applicants to contact the Leeuwin Ocean Adventure Foundation for relevant approvals prior to receiving booking.
The Leeuwin Scholarship applications are currently closed.
Applications will open agan in 2022.