When a permit to burn is required
A permit to burn is required when lighting fires on your property in the restricted burning period from:
- 2 November to 14 December; and
- 15 March to 15 May.
Apply for a permit to burn
- Fires must not be lit during the prohibited burning period from 15 December to 14 March.
- Dates for both the restricted and prohibited burning periods are subject to change, depending on weather conditions.
- Heavy penalties apply for burning during the restricted period without a permit to burn.
Permits can be obtained by contacting your local Fire Control Officer. Contacts details are provided below.
Leschenault, Australind, Parkfield and Wellesley
|0419 989 660|
Binningup, Parkfield and Wellesley
|0419 989 660|
|Wayne Jackson ||Myalup||0418 940 929|
|Tracy Osborn||Yarloop and Hoffman||0457 088 073|
|Kevin Prowse||Uduc||0418 921 811|
|Robert George||Brunswick Town, Roelands and Olive Hill||0417 173 553|
|Vaughn Byrd||Harvey Hills ||0404 800 302|
|Jayden Marinelli ||Cookernup and Hoffman||0402 175 047|
|Vaughn Byrd||Benger||0404 800 302|
Preparing for your burn
Assuming you have received a permit to burn, you must adhere to the following conditions:
- 24 hours prior to your planned burn date, contact the Shire on 9279 0300 and provide your permit number (weekend burning must be notified by Friday at 4pm).
- 4-28 days prior to your planned burn, notify the owner and/or occupier of adjoining land.
- If your land is situated within 3 km of state forest land, a national park or nature reserve, you must notify the Department of Biodiversity Conservation and Attractions on 9735 1988.
Burning garden waste during the restricted period
- Check fire danger rating and ensure there are no fire bans in place.
- Check the weather conditions (wind strength, the direction of the wind).
- You can only burn one pile of garden waste at a time.
- Each pile must not be bigger than 1 cubic metre.
- Clear 3 metres around the edge of your pile for safety.
- The burn must be lit after 6pm.
- You can add waste to your burn until 11pm as long as the pile does not exceed 1 cubic metre at a time.
- The burn needs to be completely out before midnight.
- Let the people living near you know 72 hours before you burn.
- Stay and attend to your burn until it is extinguished.
- Ensure you have an adequate water supply.
- Use metal fittings on your hoses if possible.
Do not burn the road verge without written permission from the Shire. Please contact us to discuss.
If the fire becomes uncontrollable call 000 immediately.More information and contacts
For more information about permits to burn, please contact us.