Restricted, Prohibited and Unrestricted Burning Periods
Important note: The dates below may be subject to change.
Guidance on Burning
- Restricted Period: 2 November 2021 - 14 December 2021 (burning with permit only).
- Prohibited Period: 15 December 2021 to 14 March 2022. There is strictly no burning accepted during this period.
- Restricted Period: 15 March 2022 to 15 May 2022 (burning with permit only).
- Total Fire Ban:When a Total Fire Ban or a Harvest and Vehicle Movement Ban has been declared it is illegal to carry out any activity that is likely to cause a fire. Find out more about total fire bans.
- Unrestricted Period: 16 May 2022 to 1 November 2022 – permits are not required. Burning of garden refuse, wood and solid fuel barbecues, grass and paddocks are allowed, unless a fire ban has been put in place.
What can’t I burn?
Do not burn anything that is toxic such as:
- Wooden pallets.
Things to consider before burning
- Check the weather conditions (wind strength, the direction of the wind).
- Advise adjoining neighbours you are going to burn.
- Ensure sufficient running water is close to hand.
- Use metal fittings on your hoses if possible.
- Do not leave the fire unattended.
Do not burn the road verge without written permission from the Shire. Please contact us to discuss.
If you are burning a large area, consider installing a firebreak around the area you intend to burn and ensure you have sufficient people/fire unit to hand, to assist you if required.
If the fire becomes uncontrollable call 000 immediately.More Information and Contacts
For more information about permits to burn and burning off, please contact us.