Building permit application
A building permit is required for most residential, commercial and industrial structures. This includes all new works, alterations, additions and extensions.
There are two types of building permits:
- BA1 – Application for building permit – certified: Requires a Certificate of Design Compliance (BA3 Form) to be completed by a Private Building Surveyor prior to being submitted to the Shire
- BA2 – Application for building permit – uncertified: Certified by the Shire.
The fees differ for certified and uncertified applications. Refer to Building schedule of fees and charges.
Note: Under the Building Act 2011 requires that all applicable approvals, including planning approval, are obtained prior to lodgement of a building permit application.
How to apply for a building permit
Step 1: Review relevant checklist
Before applying for a building permit please refer to the checklists below.
Not sure which class? Check out Building Classes.
Step 2: Complete the application form
You will need to download the application form (BA1 certified or BA2 uncertified) from the Department of Mines, Industry Regulations and Safety website.
Step 3: Pay Building and Construction Industry Training Fund Levy
Note: this payment is only required for construction estimated to be over $20,000.
The Building and Construction Industry Training Fund Levy applies to all residential, commercial and civil engineering projects undertaken in Western Australia, where the total value of construction is estimated to be more than $20,000.
You can pay the BCTIF levy online. Note, a copy of the receipt will need to be provided to the Shire with your application. Alternatively, you can pay for the levy in person at the Shire when you lodge your application.
Step 4: Lodge and pay for your building permit application
The Shire of Harvey receives Building applications electronically and this option is available to all our customers and residents. Although you may submit your application in person or by post all applications are assessed electronically and all approvals are sent out via email with a electronic copy being recorded by the Shire, in accord with the section 130 of the Building Act 2011.
- Electronically. The Shire of Harvey encourages you to lodge building applications electronically via the Shire e-mail address. Please submit a PDF version of your application with supporting documentation to email@example.com We can receive up to 25MB per email.
- In Person. You may lodge an application over the front counter at either Administration Offices located in Australind (7 Mulgara Street, Australind) or Harvey (102 Uduc Road, Harvey).
- By Post. You may lodge an application via post at PO Box 500, Harvey WA 6220.
All fees must be paid in full at the time of submitting an application. Payments can be made by completing the Credit Card Authorisation form (see below) with your application, over the phone via credit card details or in person at either Shire of Harvey Administration Offices.
The minimum building permit fees for estimated value of works under $20,000 is $171.65.
For current fees for estimated value of works over $20,000 please refer to the Building schedule of fees and charges.