Thank you Harvey Region!
Delegates from the City of Moka in Japan visited our community recently and had a blast!
The delegation included City of Moka Mayor Shinichi Ishizaka, City of Moka Chairman Takayuki Kushige, their staff, as well as educators and students from Moka schools.
The delegation visited schools and businesses in Harvey, Australind, Wokalup, Brunswick Junction, Roelands and Treendale as well as plenty of photo-friendly destinations.
Check out highlights from their trip below!
Monday, 30 October 2023
- Delegates visited the WA College of Agriculture - Harvey and were shocked by how big it is! The Shire of Harvey is more than 1,700 square kilometres in size, whereas the City of Moka is roughly 167 square kilometres in size. Delegates were certainly surprised by how big and beautiful the College grounds are!
- Delegates visited Apex Park for a Tree Planting Ceremony. City of Moka Mayor Ishizaka Shinichi and Shire of Harvey President Michelle Campbell planted a Japanese zelkova. This is a tree that is found all over the City of Moka and is beloved in the area.
- Delegates visited the Harvey Administration Office and had scones with Shire of Harvey President Michelle Campbell, Councillor Wendy Dickinson and CEO Annie Riordan. In Japan, the local government is responsible for schools and education, so the City of Moka delegation were very interested in learning the different responsibilities of local government!
- Delegates celebrated their first day in the Harvey Region with an Australian barbecue at Harvey Dam and Amphitheatre. Harvey Aboriginal Corporation delivered a beautIful Welcome to Country and Smoking Ceremony and exchanged gifts with the City of Moka. The delegation listened to Australian music, won TimTams and a trophy in the inaugural Moka/Harvey Games and were served delicious local beef burgers by Harvey Lions Club.
Tuesday, 31 October 2023
- Delegates travelled to Brunswick Junction to tour Brownes Dairy. Delegates found Brunswick (and the cows) to be absolutely charming!
- Delegates visited Harvey Senior High School to see how local students study. While there, they checked out music class, cooking class, woodwork class, English class and much more!
- Delegates had lunch at Brugan Brewery. They took photos of their meals and they thought the food was delicious!
- Delegates visited Harvey River Estate, learned about the local wine industry and bought souvenirs. Afterwards they toured the Big Orange and were amazed by the views.
- Delegates celebrated their second day in the Harvey Region with a formal dinner at Edith Valley. The event featured a Welcome to Country and Didgeridoo performance from Woolkabunning Kiaka Aboriginal Corporation Elder Francis Khan and Noongar man Troy Bennell. The Shire of Harvey and City of Moka also held a gift exchange ceremony. The Shire of Harvey recieved an incredible lantern and sake, while the City of Moka recieved a painting of a cockatoo and Akubra hats. Special guests included Consul General of Japan in Perth Yasushi Naito, Robyn Clarke MLA, Nola Marino MP and Dr Steven Thomas MLC.
Wednesday, 1 November 2023
- Delegates visited Australind Senior High School and Parkfield Primary School. They were very interested to see the variety of schools we have in the Harvey Region.
- Delegates enjoyed a Collie River cruise. The City of Moka is also an agricultural society with beautiful natural surrounds, so the delegation was particularly interested in our environment.
- Delegates enjoyed a delicious meal at Treendale Farm Hotel. This was their last activity before departing for Perth and a flight back to Japan. The delegation recieved a farewell from Shire of Harvey leadership and well wishes for safe travels home.
The Shire of Harvey would like to thank everybody involved in making the delegation feel welcomed, including: Robyn Clarke MLA, Consul General of Japan in Perth Yasushi Naito, Harvey Aboriginal Corporation, Woolkabunning Kiaka Aboriginal Corporation, Edith Valley, Harvey Lions Club, Simple and Beautiful Catering, Sachiko Pearce, Scott Pearce, Hadassah Morris, Chalbury Park, Harvey Hills Farmstay, Vista Ridge Estate, WA College of Agriculture Harvey, Hinterland Escapes, Harvey River Estate, Treendale Farm Hotel, Brugan Brewery, Harvey Senior High School, Australind Senior High School and Parkfield Primary School.
Check out some photos of the City of Moka visit below!
The Shire of Harvey signed a Friendship City Agreement with the City of Moka in 2022. View the Friendship City Agreement 2022.