Inspection and permit to use
Prior to the occupation of your dwelling, a final inspection of the septic tank must be undertaken by a Shire of Harvey Environmental Health Officer.
The responsibility is with the installer of the system to arrange the inspection.
Please ensure prior to the inspection that:
- The pipe work into the tanks has been left exposed
- All conditions as specified on the approval letter have been completed and
- Power is available and connected to the pump and alarm, if installed.
Once the system has been inspected and commissioned, a Permit to Use will be issued and you are able to move into your dwelling or use the system.
Important note: It is an offence to use a system before it has been inspected and approved.Desludging/pumping out
Over time tanks will accumulate sludge and scum and will need to be pumped out (desludged).
As a guide, pumping out/desludging is required as follows:
- Two-person households: Every eight years
- Four-person household: Every four years
- Four+ person household: More often is recommended.
Pumping out/desludging requires a licenced liquid waste contractor. Contractors are listed in the Yellow Pages under Septic Tank Cleaning Services.Existing septic tank plans
The Shire may have copies of existing septic tank plans. If required, please contact us.More information and contacts
For more information please contact us.