- Applications submitted without all of the applicable items listed below, will not be accepted and will be returned.
- The Building Act 2011 requires that all applicable approvals, including planning approval, are obtained prior to lodgement of a building permit application.
- This list is not a complete list of all requirements but is a general guide of the minimum information required.
Class 2-9: The Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety classifies buildings by the purpose for which they are designed, constructed or adapted to be used. A building may attract a number of classes and be described as a mixed-use building. Find out about building classes 2-9.Information required (mandatory)
Building approval forms
Form BA2 Uncertified Building Application. Please note, a BA3 Form Certificate of Design Compliance Is inclusive by Permit Authority. Access BA2 form (available on the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website).
Builder’s registration details or Owner Builder’s Licence
Required if estimated construction value is over $20,000 in non-rural areas.
Access form 75 Owner Builder Application (available on the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website).
Drawings, site plan, specification, engineering details and relevant reports
Two detailed hard copies (not electronic) are required for:
- Scale Drawings; 1:200 Site Plan including levels = FFL and FGL, 1:20 Sectionals, 1:100 Elevations
- Engineered details (footing, slab, wall and roof)
- Site classification (soil type and wind classification).
- Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) site assessment report – only if in designated bushfire prone areas
- Energy Efficiency report (BCA compliant deemed to satisfy or alternative solutions provisions). For more information refer to Energy Efficiency of Residential Buildings.
Note, storm water discharge from buildings must be diverted away from structures and contained on site within the lot boundaries. Soak wells may be required on some sites at the rate of 65m2 surface area to 1m3 capacities. Where connection to Council’s stormwater system is available approval for the connection is required to be obtained from Council’s Engineering Department prior to the issue of a building permit.
Water Corporation approval
When building in an area serviced by Water Corporation, approval is required prior to construction. Find out about Lodging a building application with Water Corporation.
BCITF levy form or payment receipt
BCITF = 0.20% of Estimated Construction Value (EVC) - applicable if ECV including GST exceeds $20,000. Find out more about the BCITF levy.Additional information required if applicable
Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) Report
Required if building in a Bushfire prone Area (including relevant construction method details).
BA20 Form – Work affecting other land
Required if the proposed works show encroachment on adjoining land, or works that will adversely affect an adjoining property. Neighbours’ consent is required prior to issue of the Building Permit. Access BA20 form: Notice and request for consent to encroach or adversely affect (available on the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website).
BA20A Form – Work affecting other land – access only
Required if the proposed works involve removing a fence/working on boundary requiring access to neighbour’s land etc. the Builder/Owner is to obtain neighbours consent prior to works commencing. Access BA20A form – Notice and request for consent (response notice): Protection structures, party walls, removal of fences, access to land (available on the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website).
Heritage notification proof
Required if applicable as per Heritage Council of WA.
Also referred to as a DA or development application, planning approval is required for grouped dwellings (in excess of three), codes variations (reduced boundary setbacks or over size etc), and/or if the District Planning Scheme (DPS) requires, such as buildings in a landscape protection area etc.
For more information refer to the R Codes - State Planning Policy and the Shire of Harvey’s Outbuildings Policy (see below).
Required if applicable, complete the application form below and submit with payment to the Shire.