BA2 Application for Building Permit - Uncertified (Class 1) Checklist

Important notes

  • Applications submitted without all of the applicable items listed below, will not be accepted and will be returned.
  • The Building Act 2011 requires that all applicable approvals, including planning approval, are obtained prior to lodgement of a building permit application.
  • This list is not a complete list of all requirements but is a general guide of the minimum information required.

Class definitions

Class 1a

A single dwelling (and additions) being a detached house or one of a group of associated dwellings, town houses, villas and the like separated by a fire-resisting wall or fire source feature spacing.

Class 1b

A boarding house, guest house, hostel or the like with a floor area of less than 300m2 and designed for less than 12 people to reside or a short-term holiday accommodation of four or more single dwellings or cabins on the one allotment.

Information required (mandatory)

Building approval forms

Form BA2 Uncertified Building Application. Please note, a BA3 Form Certificate of Design Compliance Is inclusive by Permit Authority.

Access BA2 form (available on the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website).

Indemnity insurance

Copy of insurance policy if registered builder. Note, this is not applicable for Owner Builder.

Find out more about home indemnity insurance.

Builder’s registration details or Owner Builder’s Licence

Required if estimated construction value is over $20,000 in non-rural areas.

Access form 75 Owner Builder Application (available on the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website).

Drawings, site plan, specification, engineering details and relevant reports

Two detailed hard copies (not electronic) are required for:

  • Scale Drawings; 1:200 Site Plan including levels = FFL and FGL, 1:20 Sectionals, 1:100 Elevations
  • Specifications
  • Engineered details (footing, slab, wall and roof)
  • Site classification (soil type and wind classification).
  • Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) site assessment report – only if in designated bushfire prone areas
  • Energy Efficiency report (BCA compliant deemed to satisfy or alternative solutions provisions). For more information refer to Energy Efficiency of Residential Buildings.

Note, storm water discharge from buildings must be diverted away from structures and contained on site within the lot boundaries. Soak wells may be required on some sites at the rate of 65m2 surface area to 1m3 capacities. Where connection to Council’s stormwater system is available approval for the connection is required to be obtained from Council’s Engineering Department prior to the issue of a building permit.

Water Corporation approval

When building in an area serviced by Water Corporation, approval is required prior to construction. Find out about Lodging a building application with Water Corporation.

BCITF levy form or payment receipt

BCITF = 0.20% of Estimated Construction Value (EVC) - applicable if ECV including GST exceeds $20,000. Find out more about the BCITF levy.

Additional information required if applicable

Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) Report

Required if building in a Bushfire Prone Area Include relevant construction method details.

BA20 Form – Work affecting other land

Required if the proposed works show encroachment on adjoining land, or works that will adversely affect an adjoining property. Neighbours’ consent is required prior to issue of the Building Permit. 

Access BA20 form: Notice and request for consent to encroach or adversely affect (available on the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website).

BA20A Form – Work affecting other land – access only

Required if the proposed works involve removing a fence/working on boundary requiring access to neighbour’s land etc. the Builder/Owner is to obtain neighbours consent prior to works commencing. 

Access BA20A form – Notice and request for consent (response notice): Protection structures, party walls, removal of fences, access to land (available on the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website).

Developer’s approval

Only applicable if in Kingston or Treendale Estate

Heritage notification proof

If applicable as per Heritage Council of WA.

Septic application

If applicable, complete the application form below and submit with payment to the Shire.

Planning approval

Also referred to as a DA or development application, planning approval is required for grouped dwellings (in excess of three), codes variations (reduced boundary setbacks or over size etc), and/or if the District Planning Scheme (DPS) requires, such as buildings in a landscape protection area etc.

For more information refer to the R Codes - State Planning Policy and the Shire of Harvey’s Outbuildings Policy (see below).

Fees and payments

View Building Fees Schedule.

Fees can be paid using the Credit Card Authority Form (see below) or other approved method on submitting an application for building permit.

A Building Permit will not be processed until payment has been made.

Where to lodge your application

Submit your application in person at either Shire office:

Harvey Administration Office
102 Uduc Road, Harvey

Australind  Administration Office 
Mulgara Street, Australind (behind Australind Village Shopping Centre)

Alternatively, submit your application by post to PO Box 500, Harvey WA 6220

Processing of application

Building permit applications are processed in the order in which they are received.

Under the Building Act 2011, Council has 25 working days in which to process your application.

The builder will receive by mail, one set of the plans and specifications with the permit – the second set will be retained by the Shire of Harvey.

More information and contacts

For more information or assistance with lodging your application, please contact us.