In 2015 the City of Bunbury and shires of Dardanup and Harvey developed a Greater Bunbury Age-Friendly Strategy.
Developed in consultation with Creating Communities, the strategy is designed to plan for the ageing population into the future.
Based on the research and consultation undertaken, the following recommendations articulate key strategic directions for The Shire of Harvey to achieve age-friendly outcomes:
- Transport: Improve connectivity between places and better support the movement of older people in line with the Department of Planning's Integrated Transport Strategy Framework.
- Housing: Encourage the provision of a range of affordable housing options that support older people to ‘age-in-place.’
- Communication and information: Continue to support the capacity of older people to improve their technology skills in order for them to access information.
- Social networks, relationships and inclusion: Advance the principle of universal access and inclusion to encourage participation of older people.
- Community participation and volunteerism: Foster and encourage volunteerism among older people in the community.
- Health and support services: Encourage an integrated approach to service delivery to support ‘ageing-in-place’ across Greater Bunbury.
- Outdoor spaces and buildings: Encourage the principles of universal access and inclusion into the design of public places and buildings.
The strategy was funded by the South West Development Commission and the Department of Local Government and Communities.
Fore more information view the strategy below or contact us.