All construction of buildings on land within the Shire is subject to compliance with the Building Act 2011 and Building Regulations 2012. Prior to the commencement of any earthworks, construction, alterations or additions, the person causing the works to be carried out must lodge an application for a building permit, have paid the appropriate fee and have been issued with a building permit.
The term “building” includes a fence, mast, antenna, retaining or freestanding wall, swimming pools, carport, pergola, garage, shed, dwelling, office, shop, factory, warehouse, public building and the like.
However, please note that a building permit is only required for a fence if it exceeds 1.2 metres in height from natural ground level, within 3 metres of the front boundary of a lot.
Whilst Council is reluctant to take action against its ratepayers, offences against the Building Regulations 2012 will not be condoned. However, Council does acknowledge that unauthorised structures do exist and generally become an issue at the time of sale of a property. Under certain circumstances, Council is prepared to retrospectively approve these types of structures, subject to compliance with relative legislation and payment of fees for certification.
Click the below to open files:
- Fees and Charges – 1 July 2019
- Schedule of Fees and Charges 2017.2018 (superseded)
- Building Permit Application Requirements
- Footing and Slab Design
- Relocated Dwellings Information Sheet
- Variation to R-Codes – Outbuildings
- Energy Efficiency Option 1
- Energy Efficiency Option 2
- Cut and Fill – Footings Sand Pad Control of Earthworks on Escarpment Lots and Building Sites
- Building for Better Protection in Bush Fire Areas
Building Application Forms can be found under Forms and Fees on the home page.