Construction Noise

For construction work done outside of the permitted hours of 7am and 7pm, Monday to Saturday (excluding Sundays and public holidays), the builder must:

  • Show that it is reasonably necessary for construction work to be done out of hours and submit an Application for Approval of a Noise Management Plan for Out of Hours Construction Noise;
  • Submit a Noise Management Plan to the Environmental Health Services at least seven days before the construction work starts. This plan must be approved before works commence.

Neighbourhood Noise

If you have a concern about noise in your neighbourhood, the Shire recommends you first approach your neighbour to explain how the noise is affecting you. Often your neighbours may not even realise that they are disturbing other residents. Negotiate with your neighbours and keep each other informed of any potentially noisy events such as parties.

The Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997 specify assigned noise levels that should not be exceeded. These levels vary depending on the time of day and the day of the week, and become strict after 7pm and stricter past 10pm. If you can hear noise from your property at your boundary line past 10pm the levels are almost certainly above the permitted levels and may be impacting your neighbour.

Noise from people yelling or screaming is best described as antisocial behaviour. As such it is something that is best handled by the WA Police Force (WA Police).

Below are some of the most common neighbourhood noise sources that generate complaints from the community.

Please note, domestic abuse, traffic noise, security alarms and party noise complaints cannot be addressed by the Shire of Harvey.

Musical instruments

Musical instruments can be used:

  • For no more than 1 hour per day (continuous 1-hour block, rather than short bursts throughout the day totalling 1 hour)
  • Between the hours of 7am and 7pm Monday to Saturday, and 9am and 7pm Sundays and public holidays

Always play the instrument inside and keep all windows and doors closed.

Stereo noise

Stereo noise is allowed between the hours of 7am and 7pm, Monday to Saturday, and 9am and 7pm Sundays and public holidays as long as it is at a reasonable level and not excessive. 

If you plan on playing loud music on your stereo, we encourage you to:

  • Close any doors and window
  • Turn down the volume at 7pm
  • Turn off the stereo at 10pm or turn the volume down to a point it is not be heard outside your property boundary
  • Reduce the bass component of your stereo 
  • Avoid locating speakers in alfresco or outside areas
Gardening and power tools

Many types of equipment used on residential properties can create excessive noise. These include lawnmowers, power tools, blower vacuums and hammers.

Please limit equipment use to:

  • Up to two hours per day (intended as a two-hour block, rather than short bursts throughout the day totalling two hours)
  • Between the hours of 7am and 7pm Monday to Saturday, and 9am and 7pm Sundays and public holidays.
Agricultural equipment

Under regulation 12(4) of the Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997: noise from a farming vehicle on rural premises at any time between sunset and sunrise is acceptable, if the occupier of the premises can show that the vehicle, including its noise reduction system, has been maintained to a reasonable standard.

A "farming vehicle" is defined as a motor vehicle employed in activities such as soil preparation and cultivation, land drainage and water management, crop seeding and planting, crop spraying and fertilization, pest management, produce harvesting, or stock management.

Motorcycles and ATVs

The use of motorbikes and quad bikes for recreation on private properties, especially larger ones in the Shire, is a common activity.

However, the noise generated by these vehicles can negatively affect neighbours, and their usage might not always be suitable. It's important to consider factors such as property size when determining the appropriateness of such activities and the conditions that should be followed to minimize their impact.

Riding on properties under 2 hectares

Riding of motorbikes and quad bikes is generally not seen as an acceptable land use. Noise from any motorbikes or quad bikes must comply with assigned levels of the Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997. It is likely that compliance can’t be achieved.

Riding on properties 2-5 hectares

Generally considered to be an acceptable land use and is not required to comply with the table of assigned levels, however the following conditions apply:

  • The motorised bike must have an unmodified factory fitted muffler(s) and be in a standard state of tune
  • Motocross jumps not be used
  • The bike must not be unreasonably revved
  • The bike must not be purposely ridden up and down a particular boundary
  • Only bikes permanently retained at the property can be used
  • No racing
  • Riding is to take place between 7am-7pm Mon-Sat and 9am-7pm Sundays and public holidays
  • Riding is to be for no more than two hours on any one day (intended to be as a singular time period rather than cumulative during the course of the day).

Riding on properties 5+ hectares

Unrestricted use where the table of assigned levels are met, generally met due to greater distances from nearest dwelling. Where the assigned levels cannot be met the motorised bike the conditions for lots 2-5 hectares would apply.

Domestic disturbances and parties

The Shire cannot investigate noises related to loud parties and associated with antisocial behaviour such as vehicle burn outs, loud vehicles, swearing, domestic disturbances, loud voices, smashing bottles etc. Please contact the WA Police.

More information and contacts

For more information please contact us.

Related legislation