BA2 Application for Building Permit - Uncertified (Class 10) Checklist

Important notes

  • Applications submitted without all of the applicable items listed below, will not be accepted and will be returned.
  • The Building Act 2011 requires that all applicable approvals, including planning approval, are obtained prior to lodgement of a building permit application.
  • This list is not a complete list of all requirements but is a general guide of the minimum information required.

Class definitions

Class 10a

Residential outbuilding, shed, patio, carport, garage, pergola or timber deck (>0.5m high or in Bushfire Prone area). Note: shade cloth covered and open frame pergolas and shade sails less than 20m2 in floor area and less than 2.4m high generally don’t require a building permit.

Class 10b

Swimming Pool/Spa (>300mm depth), Retaining Wall (>500mm high), Masonry Fence (>750mm high), Other Fencing, Screening (>1.8m high), Water Storage Tanks (>5000L capacity), Signs, Masts, Soakwells, Solar Panels (Fitted to Class 2-9 buildings). Note: 10b structures don’t require a registered builder.

Information required (mandatory)

Building approval forms

Form BA2 Uncertified Building Application. Please note, a BA3 Form Certificate of Design Compliance Is inclusive by Permit Authority.

Access BA2 form (available on the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website).

Drawings, site plan, specification, engineering details and relevant reports

Two detailed hard copies (not electronic) are required for:

  • 1:200 scale site plan
  • 1:20 scale sectional drawings
  • 1:100 scale elevations
  • Specifications
  • Engineering details.

Water Corporation approval

When building in an area serviced by Water Corporation, approval is required prior to construction. Find out about Lodging a building application with Water Corporation.

Additional information required if applicable

BCITF levy form or payment receipt

BCITF = 0.20% of Estimated Construction Value (EVC) - applicable if ECV including GST exceeds $20,000. Find out more about the BCITF levy.

Builder’s registration details or Owner Builder’s Licence

Required if estimated construction value is over $20,000 for class 10a structures only. Class 10b structures don’t require a registered builder. Exemptions can apply for rural locations.

Access form 75 Owner Builder Application (available on the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website).

BA20 Form – Work affecting other land

Required if the proposed works show encroachment on adjoining land, or works that will adversely affect an adjoining property. Neighbours’ consent is required prior to issue of the Building Permit. 

Access BA20 form: Notice and request for consent to encroach or adversely affect (available on the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website).

BA20A Form – Work affecting other land – access only

Required if the proposed works involve removing a fence/working on boundary requiring access to neighbour’s land etc. the Builder/Owner is to obtain neighbours consent prior to works commencing. 

Access BA20A form – Notice and request for consent (response notice): Protection structures, party walls, removal of fences, access to land (available on the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website).

Planning approval

Also referred to as a DA or development application, planning approval is required for grouped dwellings (in excess of three), codes variations (reduced boundary setbacks or over size etc), and/or if the District Planning Scheme (DPS) requires, such as buildings in a landscape protection area etc.

For more information refer to the R Codes - State Planning Policy and the Shire of Harvey’s Outbuildings Policy (see below).


Fees and payments

View Building Fees Schedule.

Fees can be paid using the Credit Card Authority Form (see below) or other approved method on submitting an application for building permit.

A Building Permit will not be processed until payment has been made.

Where to lodge your application

Submit your application in person at either Shire office:

Harvey Administration Office
102 Uduc Road, Harvey

Australind  Administration Office 
Mulgara Street, Australind (behind Australind Village Shopping Centre)

Alternatively, submit your application by post to PO Box 500, Harvey WA 6220

Processing of application

Building permit applications are processed in the order in which they are received.

Under the Building Act 2011, Council has 25 working days in which to process your application.

The builder will receive by mail, one set of the plans and specifications with the permit – the second set will be retained by the Shire of Harvey.

More information and contacts

For more information or assistance with lodging your application, please contact us.