Household hazardous waste collection points are at the Stanley Road Waste Management
These collections points are for disposal of unwanted household products that contain chemicals or substances that can be harmful to you, your family, your pets or the environment.Items accepted
- Acids and alkalis
- Batteries (household)
- Engine coolants and alycols
- Fire Extinguisher Non halon (red) only
- Fluorescent lamps and tubes (CLFs)
- Gas cylinders (small households)
- Household chemicals (eg. cleaners)
- Pool chemicals
- Smoke detectors.
Unknown chemicals are accepted at most facilities and must be in sealed, chemical resistance contains.
Domestic quantities of materials are accepted ie. no longer than 20kg/20L per material type.
For disposal options please visit WasteNet.Items not accepted
- Commercial and industrial waste
- EPIRBs and PLBs
- Explosive, ammunition and firearms
- Fire extinguishers – Halon (yellow)
- Medications and pharmaceuticals
- Mobile phones
- Motor oil and cooking oil (see below)
- Printer cartridges/toners
- Sharps and needles
The HHW Program does not accept waste from commercial businesses including small businesses or industrial sites.Disposal of other items
- Bottle tops – Sent to be recycled into 3D printer filament
- Bread tags – Sent to Aussie Bread Tags for Wheelchairs
- Contact lenses – All brands of used contact lenses and blister packs, all brands of contact lenses will be recycled by Terracycle
- Dish and air care – All brands of dishwashing liquid bottles (including caps), dishwashing tablets flexibles packaging (including snap locks and zip locks), air freshener aerosol cans and spray bottles (including spray and trigger heads), plug-in air fresheners and refills (including plastic outer packaging) will be recycled by Terracycle
- Oral care – Toothpaste tubes and caps, manual toothbrushes, electric toothbrushes heads, toothbrush and toothpaste tube outer packaging, floss containers will be recycled by Terracycle
- Smoke detectors – Disposed of under the HHW program
- X-rays – Sent to Siltech PMR Pty Ltd
- Coffee pods – Recycled by Terracycle
- Household batteries – Recycled under the HHW program
- Mobile phones and devices – Sent to Mobile Muster
- Aerosols – Recycled under the HHW program
- Printer cartridges – Laser and Inkjet – Officeworks, Harvey Norman, The Good Guys, JB Hi-Fi
- Soft plastic – Those eligible under Redcycle (see below)
- Light globes and fluorescent tubes – All household light globes and fluoro’s including LED lights are recycled under the HHW program.
- Waste Oil disposal
The REDcycle Programme makes it easy for consumers to keep plastic bags and food packaging out of landfill.
Drop your soft plastics into your nearest REDcycle collection bin and RED Group will do the rest.
There are participating supermarkets all around Australia. Coles and Woolworths REDcycle bins are typically located near the checkout.
There are currently a few different types of REDcycle bins in use depending on the store so please ask at the customer service desk if you can’t locate the bin.Mobile Muster
Used mobile phones can be disposed of at the Shires Administration Offices. Please note that phones are not recycled or refurbished. Over 90% of phone components can be recycled.DrumMUSTER Program
Developed with the environment in mind, the drumMUSTER program collects and recycles eligible, pre-cleaned agricultural and veterinary chemical containers.
DrumMUSTER is a national product stewardship program that is supported by agvet chemical manufacturers, industry stakeholders which includes member and farming associations, state and local governments. Working hand-in-hand with local Councils and other collection agencies, drumMUSTER has established collection facilities all over Australia and since its inception in 1998 the program has recycled over 20 million containers.
Once the containers have been collected, they are recycled into re-usable products such as wheelie bins, road signs, fence posts and bollards.
The drumMUSTER service benefits the user, the environment, industry and the wider community by providing a reliable, cost effective and sustainable option for the recycling of empty eligible agvet chemical containers. Drums with the drumMUSTER logo can be returned to the Richardson Road Facility. Please contact the Gate Attendant prior to bringing in your drums.More information and contacts
For more information about hazardous household waste disposal, please contact us.