The Shire’s hazard reduction program
Follow the Shire of Harvey’s hazard reduction program to ensure your property is prepared.
May - August
- Prune trees within the Asset Protection Zone (APZ)
- Move branches up to 2 metres
- Clear long grass, leaves, branches/twigs, and flammable vegetation from around your buildings
- Petrol and other flammables should be stored away from your dwelling
- Firefighting equipment to be checked and serviced when required
- Share your emergency plan and evacuation plans with your family and neighbours
- Apply chemical spray to your firebreaks and low fuel zones (two applications may be required).
September - November
- Wood and timber heaps to be kept at least 20 metres away from your dwelling
- Grass to be kept short
- Clean gutters and roof debris.
- Install your firebreaks.
- Apply chemical spray to your firebreaks and low fuel zones (final application).
- Review your family’s emergency plan remembering your pets and livestock.
November - May
- Water lawns on specified watering days
- Water trees and shrubs near your buildings
- Check your firefighting equipment and service it where required
- Clean gutters and roof debris
- Maintain your firebreaks.
Be fire safe all year round
Water supply in the event of a bush fire
- Ensure firebreaks are prepared
- Ensure sure that your buildings are safe – fit metal fly screens and shutters, fill gaps in roof and wall spaces, fit fire screens to evaporative air conditioners and see if they can provide a water only supply
- Consider installing external building sprinkler systems and backup power for emergencies
- Ensure trafficable access to your emergency water supplies and install the correct fittings.
The Water Corporation cannot guarantee that water pressure or supply will be maintained in the event of a bushfire. People who plan to stay and defend their property need to have their own independent water supply and pumping capabilities and not rely on the public water supply.More information and contacts
The following websites provide a wealth of information on preparing your property for the potential of a bushfire:
Bushfire preparedness video: Importance of Preparedness - Lessons Learnt 2016 January Bushfires
For more information about bushfire preparedness, please contact us.